Monday, October 29, 2012

Personal Blog

I realize I have neglected Home Base for some time. I was attending to issues that needed my attention.Thanks for stopping by to see what's going on today. If you are a first time viewer - welcome and enjoy your stay!!! 

I know that since I started Home Base I have posted mostly soup recipes. Today will be no different only because this is my favorite and most requested and well liked soup.I couldn't post a photo this time because  it did not last long enough for me to snap one and when I finally did remember, it was truly all gone.

Several months ago my hubby started bringing home large amounts of  canned clams in every form home. Having never cooked with clams before I was caught in a slight dilemma with what to do with this growing pantry item. I started surfing  the web and came across vast amounts of differing clam chowder recipes. Well, one thing led to another and I ended up making my own recipe with what I had on hand and what would work for us.Anyone that has eaten it says it's the BEST soup they've EVER had. (I have documentation!) Ha Ha!
Anyways, if you would like to give it a try, set about a two hour block aside to make this -  give or take a few minutes from start to finish. Good food takes  time to establish and this is even better on the second day  if you can get it to last that long. Patience  in getting it  completed is well worth the wait, so give it a try and send me your feedback once you've  made it. I am always open to critiques and suggestions to creating my dishes. My instructions are simple and easy to follow, so with this in mind, let's get started!

          Best Ever Clam Chowder - New England Style

1 whole head  - Garlic , chopped or minced
1/4 cup              Olive oil
1 stick                Butter
3 stalks               Celery, chopped
1 large                Onion, chopped
2 large                Carrots,chopped
1 can                   Baby clams, reserve juice, rinse clams
2 cans                 Minced clams, reserve juice, rinse clams
6 large                Potatoes,baked,  skins removed, (smash 4 of these & chunk the remaining 2)
1 container          16 ozs. Half & Half
8 ozs.                  Water
1 small bag          Frozen corn
1/2 cup               White wine - your preferance
2 TBLSP each     Parsley, salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning,poultry seasoning,and chicken soup base

Bake potatoes in microwave and set aside to cool, remove  jackets when warm to touch. Smash 4 of these potatoes and set aside, chunk the rest and set aside.
While the potatoes are  cooking melt butter with olive oil in soup pot.
Add celery, onions, garlic, and carrots. Be sure to chop vegetables in same size to ensure all cook thoroughly. Sweat them until onions are translucent.
Add reserved clam juice and water, bring to a boil; add smashed potatoes, 1/2 and1/2 and rinsed clams. Bring to a boil and add seasonings, corn,and potato chunks. Bring this to a hard boil for about 10 minutes stirring  often to keep all from  settling to the bottom.
Turn heat to  medium -low, add  wine and simmer for about 15 minutes to  combine flavors.
 I usually  let the soup rest on low  for a little to cool down and meld flavors together.
Serve with crusty bread or rolls or oyster crackers.

Take the time to enjoy cooking your food.For many years I just routinely did what a recipe called for to get the desired effect.Over the past year or so, I have started appreciating the whole process from creating the idea and recipe to the end result and am grateful for all the different dishes I have created. Too often our lives tend to become so mired in everyday bustle that we begin to settle for mediocrity in areas we should have more respect for. We should be thinking sincerely about what we are doing to and for ourselves with what is offered to nourish us. So many times I have consciously considered what I have available and how to make it palatable, and, when it was served I have been rewarded with empty plates and compliments.

I am beginning to think the best ingredient I am serving is love.Love for wanting to serve good tasting, healthy, bountiful food. Love of sharing my successes (and fails) so you can give them a try as well. Love of seeing my family and friends enjoy my offerings and encouraging me to push myself to be more creative in all I do.I am feeling the love! Ha Ha! I have learned to enjoy the time it takes to create;to enjoy the creation; to enjoy the lasting effects - satisfaction and nourishment, the want for just " a little more", the knowledge "I can do it", respect for appreciation.
This is my Home Base for this edition. Love and Respect and Appreciation in all you do. It is worth it in your end result.

Thanks for letting me share with you today. If you try this great chowder please give me your feedback using the comments post below, I'd love to hear  from you and will respect your opinion and appreciate your input.

Today's Tip: Nourish your heart with love, nourish your mind with appreciation, nourish your self  & others with respect, nourish your life with confidence in all you do,and nourish your soul with faith.

The eyes of all look expectantly to You, and You give them their food in due season. You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing.  Psalm 145 : 15-16

1 comment:

  1. I have made this before and it is delicious........thanks my friend:-)

    ReplyDelete